Free Consultation
Tap To Call Tap To Text
Consulta Gratis
Llamar Texto

Last week signaled the end of Florida’s legislative session and also the end of a bill designed to combat distracted driving. The proposal would have made texting while driving a secondary traffic offense.

The bill, referred to as SB 416, failed to move forward in the House despite clearing the Senate’s budget panel last month. The bill marks the third time that legislators have considered passing such a law. Each time the Senate has passed the measure, but the House has not.

If passed, the law would have allowed police officers to issue fines for texting while driving. But the failure of the House to pass the bill means that Florida remains one of only 15 states without some kind of ban.

This statistic is likely to frustrate many Florida voters. According to a recent poll, 71 percent of Florida voters are in favor of a texting while driving ban. They believe that such a ban would make driving in our state safer—and they’re probably right. California enacted a similar ban in July 2008. Since that time, overall traffic deaths in the state have declined 22 percent while handheld cell phone driver deaths went down 47 percent.

About Philip DeBerard, Injury Attorney

The law firm of Philip DeBerard, Injury Attorney, has provided professional and compassionate legal assistance to personal injury and accident victims in South Florida and the Treasure Coast since 1975. The firm’s practice areas include car accidents, motorcycle accidents, truck accidents, product liability, dog bite injuries, swimming pool accidents, slip and fall injuries, medical malpractice, and wrongful death claims.

Our law firm represents victims of car accidents across South Florida, including Port St. Lucie, Fort Pierce, Jupiter, Stuart, Okeechobee, Vero Beach, Palm Beach, and throughout South Florida and the Treasure Coast.

If a distracted driver in Florida has injured you or someone you love, call 1-800-299-8878 now to speak with a knowledgeable Florida car accident attorney or fill out our online contact form.