Florida Slip and Fall Accident Lawyers
Slip and fall accidents – also called “trip and fall” and “fall down” accidents – are a leading cause of injury in Florida, especially among older adults. A slip and fall accident can occur on the premises of a store or business, on a public sidewalk or street or at a personal residence. A fall-down injury, such as a broken hip or a head injury, may require a lengthy recovery and months of missed work.
If a business, local or state government or a private homeowner has allowed a hazardous condition to exist, the negligent property owner may be required to compensate the fall victim for medical costs, loss of income during recovery and other losses. In cases involving a reckless disregard for others’ safety, a court could order payment of punitive damages.
At Philip DeBerard, Injury Attorney, we understand the impact that slip and fall accidents can have on the lives of those who have been hurt. We understand what has happened when a fall results in serious injury, and we know how to help the injured party move forward to put his or her life back in order.
If you or a family member of yours has been seriously injured in a slip and fall accident, call us today toll free to speak with a lawyer or fill out our online contact form.
Slip and Fall Accidents and Premises Liability in Florida
Generally speaking, Florida homeowners and businesses are responsible for injuries suffered by visitors to their property. They have a duty to maintain property so that it is reasonably free of hazards. This area of law is known as “premises liability.”
If a visitor slips and falls on a broken step or a slick spot caused by spilled water or another liquid, the property owner and/or landlord may be legally responsible if they were aware of the hazard and failed either to fix it or to warn visitors.
Businesses such as stores, restaurants and amusement parks have to meet a higher standard of inspecting and maintaining property to keep their premises free of hazards for customers who come to do business.
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), falls cause over 95 percent of hip fractures in older adults and nearly half of all traumatic brain injury (TBI) hospitalizations in all age groups. Falling is the leading cause of death from an injury among older adults.
In Florida alone, more than 1 million adults aged 65 and up suffered a fall just within 2020. That’s nearly 3,000 fall victims every single day.
Some of the more common types of slip and fall accidents are caused by:
- Wet floors in restaurants and office buildings
- Cluttered aisles in stores
- Holes in sidewalks and parking lots
- Neglected maintenance at apartment complexes
- Poorly maintained grounds or equipment at parks
- Poor lighting in stairwells and hallways
- Unsafe stairs and/or loose treads and handrails
- Elevator and escalator accidents.
If You Are in a Slip and Fall Accident
If you or a companion has been injured in a slip and fall accident, it’s important to take the following steps:
- Report your accident to the property owner.
- Gather contact information from witnesses.
- If your fall was caused by a visible hazard, take pictures before it can be repaired or cleaned up.
- Take photos of any injury immediately after the fall, too, and any physical changes, like swelling or bruising.
- Get medical treatment for your injuries right away, and follow all of the doctor’s recommendations for treatment.
- Save copies of your medical bills (even those paid by insurance) and off-work slips. (You may also want to keep notes or a diary about your medical treatment or the pain and suffering caused by your injuries.)
- Request a copy of any incident report written by the business where you fell.
- Save any other evidence related to the fall, including the shoes and clothing you wore, in case there are substances on them from the fall, such as liquid from a spill or dirt from a hole.
If you have a legal claim for your slip and fall accident, this evidence will help to prepare your case.
Contact a Florida Slip and Fall Injury Attorney Today
A slip and fall accident victim who was not at fault has a right to seek compensation for his or her injuries and other losses. Such a personal injury lawsuit can be successful in Florida if the injured party can show that the property owner had an obligation to ensure safety for the injured person and neglected it.
Since 1975, Philip DeBerard, Injury Attorney, has investigated the circumstances of slip and fall accidents on behalf of clients in South Florida and have offices in Stuart, Port St. Lucie, Vero Beach, Okeechobee, Palm Beach Gardens and West Palm Beach. We know how to determine what happened in a fall that caused a serious injury, and we know what should happen next to promote the best interests of our clients.
If you or a loved one has been injured, or if you have lost a loved one in a slip and fall accident, you may have a right to compensation for your injuries and losses.
Call Philip DeBerard, Injury Attorney today toll free or contact us online. We can get to work on your case right away.
Request A Free Case Evaluation