Florida Car Accident Statistics
Car accidents claim lives every day in Florida and across the United States. Many people are injured in car crashes virtually every hour of the day. Some motor vehicle wrecks are accidents, but too many are caused by reckless and negligent behavior.
When a car accident should not have occurred, those who have been injured or the families of those who have died have a right to be made whole financially for their losses.
If you or a loved one has been hurt in a car accident, you may be entitled to compensation for medical expenses and for your pain and suffering. The Florida car accident lawyers of Philip DeBerard, Injury Attorney, help accident victims across South Florida and the Treasure Coast, including in Stuart, Port St. Lucie, Okeechobee, Fort Pierce, Jupiter, Palm Beach and Vero Beach. For a free consultation, contact us today at our toll-free number or through our online contact form.
Car Accidents Happen Every Day in Florida and the U.S.
According to preliminary data from the Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles (FLHSMV), there were 391,820 crashes in Florida in 2022. These resulted in 249,296 injuries and 3,489 fatalities.
The Florida counties with the most traffic accidents in 2022 were:
- Miami-Dade County — 63,507 crashes
- Broward County — 35,408 crashes
- Hillsborough County — 28,354 crashes
- Orange County — 26,257 crashes
- Palm Beach County — 24,958 crashes.
Who is Involved in Florida Car Accidents?
The 2021 FLHSMV Traffic Crash Facts tell us that the people involved in Florida car accidents include:
- 48,220 teen drivers, including 111 teenagers killed and 12,376 injured. Collisions involving teen drivers also resulted in 103 passengers and 73 non-motorists getting killed.
- 70,586 elderly drivers (aged 65 and up), including 385 elderly drivers involved in fatal crashes.
- 6,786 injured motorcyclists and 584 killed motorcyclists. These crashes also resulted in 37 motorcycle passenger fatalities and 611 motorcycle passenger injuries.
- 9,569 pedestrians, including 835 pedestrians killed in car accidents and 7,331 injured.
- 197 killed bicyclists and 5,958 injured bicyclists.
Data from the Florida Department of Health also show that in 2021:
- 107 children younger than 15 years old were killed in motor vehicle traffic crashes.
- 791 people 65 years old and older were killed in motor vehicle traffic crashes.
How and Why Do Florida Car Crashes Happen?
The 2021 Florida Traffic Crash Facts reveal that:
- Alcohol was involved in 5,111 collisions that year. Of these alcohol-related crashes, 369 were fatal and 1,741 were injurious. Among the age groups, drivers aged 25-29 had the most alcohol-confirmed crashes, with 40 collisions resulting in deaths and 95 resulting in injuries.
- In addition to alcohol-only crashes, there were 414 crashes that involved both alcohol and drugs.
- 4,480 of all fatal traffic accidents were lane departure crashes, with contributing factors such as vehicle overturning or rolling over, failing to stay in the proper lane, and driving off the roadway.
- 540 fatalities were from crashes involving aggressive and/or speeding drivers. These behaviors also caused an additional 5,483 crash injuries.
- Failing to yield the right of way caused 474 fatal collisions and 18,754 injurious collisions.
- Distracted driving caused 344 deaths and 16,227 injuries.
“Traffic crashes are largely avoidable, and those that result in personal injury or loss of life are too often the unacceptable results of poor preparation and decision-making,” Julie L. Jones, former executive director of the Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles said in her letter to the public. At Philip DeBerard, Injury Attorney, we agree.
Contact Our Florida Car Accident Lawyers Today
If you or a loved one has been injured, or if you have lost a loved one in a car accident, you may have a right to compensation for your injuries and losses. If you’ve been hurt, Florida car accident lawyer Philip DeBerard is on your side.
From our office in Stuart, Philip DeBerard, Injury Attorney, has obtained millions of dollars in compensation for victims of car crashes in locations throughout South Florida and have offices in Stuart, Port St. Lucie, Vero Beach, Okeechobee, Palm Beach Gardens and West Palm Beach.
To schedule a free consultation, call Philip DeBerard, Injury Attorney, today at our toll-free number or use our online contact form. We can put our legal team to work on your case right away.
Request A Free Case Evaluation