Florida Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles just released the state’s traffic crash statistics for 2010. There is good news in the data – the traffic death rate continues to drop in the State of Florida. In fact, the state’s “mileage” death rate (number of deaths per 100 million miles traveled) dropped last year to the lowest rate on record.
Highlights of the report include:
- The number of injuries dropped just over one percent from 2009 to 2010, with 195,104 accident victims suffering an injury in 2010.
- Since 2005, traffic fatalities have dropped every year, dropping from 3,533 in 2005 to 2,444 last year. That is a 30.8 percent reduction in fatalities.
- Between 2009 and 2010, traffic crash fatalities on Florida roadways dropped by 4.6 percent. The fatalities for the two years were 2,563 and 2,444 respectively.
- Between 2009 and 2010, teen crash fatalities fell by 5.9 percent, from 153 to 144 respectively.
- Between 2009 and 2010, motorcycle rider and passenger deaths went down from 402 to 383 respectively, decreasing by 4.7 percent.
- In 2010, the average number of crashes per day was 645.
According to DHSMV Executive Director Julie L. Jones, the report shows that as crashes continue to drop, the state is moving towards the vision of a safer Florida. She believes that through collaboration of law enforcement agencies, safety advocates and lawmakers, roadways are continuously being made a safer place for visitors and residents everyday.
Our Florida car accident attorneys applaud the efforts of the Florida Highway Patrol and legislators in making our highways safer for anyone driving Florida highways. We also continue to support any new safety laws that improve the chances of survival of drivers and passengers in the case of a Florida car accident.
See “Traffic Crash Statistics Report 2010” for the full report.
Contact an Experienced Florida Car Accident Lawyer
If the negligence or careless of another driver injures you or your loved one in Florida car accident, seek counsel immediately. I am attorney Philip DeBerard. I have three decades of legal experience representing people injured in car accidents and other personal injury claims.
If character traits such as integrity, dedication and compassion are what you seek in an accident lawyer, call Philip DeBerard. Choosing the right accident lawyer does make a difference. Call 1-800-299-8878 to speak with a knowledgeable Florida car accident attorney or fill out our online contact form.