Dump trucks are one of the most common commercial vehicles on the road – and they also cause fatal traffic accidents in Florida.
Dump trucks are dangerous because they carry heavy loads of sand, gravel, dirt and trash, which can make the vehicle difficult to maneuver. If the truck is overloaded or improperly loaded, it can be hard to stop and is more likely to roll over.
Last May, a man from Pasco County died in a dump truck crash on southbound Interstate 75, while his wife and their 3-year-old granddaughter suffered injuries. According to the Tampa Tribune, the wreck happened when the truck suddenly pulled in front of their vehicle.
Troopers told the Tribune that the 1994 Mack truck was carrying a load of dirt in a construction zone. The 49-year-old driver of the truck was attempting to enter I-75 when the victim’s 2012 Hyundai crashed into the back of it. The driver of the Hyundai was killed instantly. His wife and young granddaughter were airlifted to a Tampa hospital in serious condition.
How to Avoid a Truck Accident
- Be extremely cautious when approaching a large truck. Trucks and passenger vehicles behave very differently from one another.
- Safely pass all trucks. Accelerate slightly and maintain a consistent speed. Before signaling and pulling in front of a truck, wait until you can see the entire cab in your rear-view mirror.
- Avoid all possible blind spots. Roughly one-third of all truck crashes take place in a truck’s blind spot. If you cannot see the side mirrors of a truck, then it is likely that the truck driver cannot see you.
- Be careful when passing trucks that are turning. In order to turn safely, trucks must swing wide in the opposite direction.
- Do not cut in front of a truck. Trucks require a much greater stopping distance compared to passenger vehicles.
- Allow at least four to six seconds of space between you and the truck. Drop even farther back in inclement weather.
- Call authorities if you see unsafe driving on the roads. Call authorities to report any unsafe driving behavior on the roads and highways. You will be doing other drivers a favor.
The safety rules and regulations governing the operation of dump trucks can be complex and difficult to understand. In addition, multiple parties and different insurance companies might be involved in a dump truck accident.
An experienced Florida truck accident lawyer can help sort out the insurance and legal issues if you are involved or injured in a dump truck accident.
- Land Line Magazine
- The Tampa Tribune